Sunday 19 February 2012

When Creativity isn't courteous...

The other day I was sitting in McDonald's studying. Don't ask why McDonald's: the fact is it's the place I study best and I'm not going to question that, so why should you?
   Anyway, I was studying away, reading up on Rousseau and Plato and all the exciting philosophers when I noticed that at the table in front of me there was a man with a camera taking a picture of his friend. This was all innocent but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was looking at me... through the lens!
   I carried on studying, though remaining wary, when I was sure the man had just taken a photo of me. Em... What do I do now? I couldn't be sure for a start, and I didn't want to say anything so I carried on my work. I looked out of the window and there! I definitely saw the camera getting raised in my direction and I heard the tell-tale shutter.
   Creepy!
   It felt like being in China again, when I was a spectacle to all the citizens who saw a tall, pale, blonde girl and thought they had every right to take her photo. They didn't. And this guy doesn't either.
   I could hear him telling his friends about photography and photos that are famous and I even caught a compliment about the light in my eyes. Doesn't make the situation any less uncomfortable for me though.

   When the man got up to leave, he came and asked about my studies and nonchalantly told me about the photo he'd taken of me as if it was socially acceptable. Which it isn't. He started telling me about photography and the different photos that express things and though he seemed nice enough, and he's a regular at the McDonald's, I still felt a bit sick.

So after discussing creativity, and what it is at university, I feel it's safe to say that creativity isn't always courteous. It doesn't always take into account other people. The man saw a photo moment that he liked so he took the opportunity to capture it. I'm sure he can go away and feel pleased about his photo, admiring the light or the focus or other camera stuff, but I'm stuck feeling hard done by because I wasn't asked and that makes all the difference.
Unless the photo is a work of art and it launches a modelling career that brings me millions. But I highly doubt that will happen.

1 comment:

  1. Not good. I know that some photographers think taking photos of people in the street and other public places is fair game but I understand why you were more than a little creeped out.

    (And I use McD often when I'm out doing school visits - not for the fine cuisine but for the free wifi!)

    ReplyDelete