Tuesday 14 February 2012

When awkward moments start a day...

The other day I had a rather awkward moment at the train station on my way to university. I was alone on the platform because everyone had just boarded the express train. There was a man in a luminous top who didn't get on the train but instead left the platform. I was reading through my course stuff to try to get a grasp on one of the assignments and I dropped my jotter in a puddle. I looked about to see if there was anything to clean my jotter up and there was a newspaper next to me. People leave newspapers lying about all the time but since it was the Guardian I didn't want to tear into it so I removed one of the inner papers, the puzzle section, and wiped my jotter down. So there was the four seats: the Guardian in one, the dirty loose part of another seat, my jotter and me.

And then the man in the luminous top came back. It was his newspaper.

We both knew what I did but neither of us said anything. I was so embarrassed and it was so awkward, and quite funny too. He seemed pretty unimpressed and glared at me when I got on the train but in my defence, he left it! He left the platform for a good 5 minutes and I didn't know he was coming back to reclaim his newspaper. The only good news is that I didn't tear anything out of it. That would've been worse..

No comments:

Post a Comment