Tuesday 8 November 2011

What happens when in nursery.

Ah nursery. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't like tea and I like nursery so I'm not sure what it's my cup of.
Hot blackcurrent juice maybe, or coke... though coke should be drunk from the can cause it tastes better.
Anyway! Nursery

What a laugh. I know I'm supposed to be learning hard hitting child development thingies and appreciate how the  Curriculum for Excellence fits in and what the role of the adult is and all that jazz but good grief, what I've learned most is how funny children are. And I don't mean intentionally haha funny (though that is the case sometimes) I mean just how their minds work and how they react to things.

This is the goldmine that made me want to become a teacher in the first place.

The dialogue when the teacher asked what a doctor might have in his bag went as follows:
Child 1 "..."
Child 2 "....doctor things."
Child 3 "Doctor things!"
Child 4 "Tetoscope"
Teacher "Yes, a doctor would have a stethoscope which is a big long word. Lets try to say it ST-ETH-O-SCOPE."
Children "..variations of stethoscope.."
Teacher "Now moving on.."
Child 5 "I didn't get a shot!"
Teacher "OK, what do you think the doctor has in his bag."
Child 5 "A puppy!"

And so on. It's comedy gold!
Don't get me wrong. I'm not mocking the children or anything but anyone who works with the early years can appreciate how funny some of the things they come out with can be.
Saying that I had a P6 last year who was reading a news report she'd written about a volcanic eruption and said "And aa [type of lava] lava was running down the side of he volcano destroying houses, burning children and worrying everyone." I encouraged her to use stronger language than worry.

Anyway, this post is simply sharing my joy at working with such young children.
But what's really exciting about working with children is working them grow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that similar comedy gold can be mined from what teachers say to children. :-)

    ReplyDelete