Wednesday 2 November 2011

Creativity

Wahey! Something related to my course.

I am to write a blog about what creativity means. Well, I don't do anything simple so I'll tell you what I find frustrating when described as creative.

For one, arty farty types who create pieces of art that look like cat sick that is apparently a representation of how the British tax payer is being crushed by the government and blah blah blah.
I went to a play in London that involved the audience moving around a large metal box thing and then watch a man dressed as a Jew move about (on what I'm going to call skates cause I can't think of what they're actually called) through a bath house while a creepy psycho child moved about the rafters. It was absolutely appalling but, I'm sure, represented some form of creativity.

Of course, that just means that my concept of creativity differs from the people who wrote the torture but there you go. Creativity, like beauty, is subjective.
One of my favourite bands, Relient K, wrote a song called "Wit's all been done before." about how "there's nothing new under the sun." My favourite lines being:
Cause creating something new is just recycling,
Wait wit's all been done before,
Yeah we do something to death,
Then we dig it up just to do it some more.



However, such a cynical viewpoint might not be well received in schools so it's safer to accept all sorts of creativity because we teach all sorts of children.
I've created a presentation about creativity that could possibly be rubbish, or you're just note being open-minded to my creative thinking and need to remember that it's subjective.
http://prezi.com/ig3mh99kjmcy/creativity/

3 comments:

  1. I'm assuming that the Relient K lyrics are a fairly free paraphrase of:

    "What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun."
    (Ecclesiastes 1:9 ESV)

    Are you really arguing that there is no such thing as creativity or just that SOME things described as creative are actually just stuff and nonsense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am merely throwing the Relient K thing in as a curve ball to the argument. There is of course creativity as I am currently using my laptop which is probably a few years out of date now due to new models and technology being created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting response. Technological development = creativity. Worth thinking about further. For example, I am wondering if it means that you only consider something as creative if it leads to something useful. Is creativity related to value in some way?

    Found your Prezi interesting too. I left a comment on the Prezi site.

    ReplyDelete